Who pays for my deductible after my car accident?



After you are injured in a car accident, you may be forced to pay two different types of deductibles: the deductible to your car insurance so that repairs will be made and the deductible for your health insurance so that you may seek medical treatment.

Clients will often ask me who is responsible for paying these deductibles after a car accident. Often the client will have to pay these amounts out of pocket, or in conjunction with the at-fault driver’s insurance. However, ultimately the at-fault driver and the at-fault driver’s insurance company are going to be required to compensate you for all out-of-pocket payments that you make.

Out-of-pocket expenses, including medical bills, prescription costs, lost wages, and rental car fees, are called special damages under Georgia law. The at-fault driver will be required to compensate you for all of your special damages that have been incurred due to your injury.

Often, when you retain an attorney, arrangements can be made so that you are not having to pay large deductibles to receive medical treatment. Our office maintains a large network of medical providers that treat car accident victims on a “lien basis.” This means that the medical provider will not ask for any money up front, and will get paid from any settlement or verdict down the road. In essence, you may bypass the health insurance process.

If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, and you are unsure of who is responsible for paying the deductible, then please, feel free to call and speak to one of our experienced Atlanta car accident lawyers today. We can help you get the treatment that you need.